Monday, August 2, 2021

Frog Moments

As I write this post, it's raining outside and two baby frogs are hanging out on my office window. They startled me at first because, as you all know by now, when I see something moving at the window, my first thought is monster/psycho/zombie. But now I'm enjoying watching them, enjoying their company. (And as long as they stay outside, they're adorable.

 

I mention this moment because it made me smile. I've been kind of "meh" about stuff lately, everything from reading to writing. There are some reasons and there are no reasons, if that makes sense. I've struggled with this before, but this time around, I'm having trouble shaking it. So I'm trying to focus on positivity, on things that make me happy, laugh, bring me joy, and I thought I'd share a few recent examples in case you all also need a "frog moment" or two.

 

WRITING 

Here are three posts that should - hopefully! - shake off any writing blues:


Advice for the Demoralized Writer by James Scott Bell 


Stay in the Fight by John Gilstrap


The Most Significant Choice of Your Writing Career by Jessica Conoley

 

 

*****

 

READING

How about a feel good read that includes books, libraries and a cast of quirky characters you'll love to root for? Then make a note to pick up The Last Chance Library by Freya Sampson! (I got my hands on an ARC – it's out 8/31/21.)

 

 

*****

 

WATCHING

We went old school and thoroughly enjoyed re-watching "Jaws" and "Jurassic Park." We're also re-watching "Seinfeld" from Season 1 – still hilarious! 

 

I have fallen hard for "Firefly Lane" (Netflix.) It's not my usual thing, and I'm not exactly sure why I enjoy it so much, but hey, not everything needs to be analyzed to death, right? Unfortunately for me, I thought it was a self-contained show, so when the last episode ended on a cliffhanger you can probably imagine the angst and drama in my house when I realized what was happening. And yet, I am so in if there's a Season 2!

 

 

*****

 

WALKING

I'm really struggling with the walking challenge, but I'm determined to keep going, to make at least some progress this summer. 

 

Miles walked as of 7/30/2021 = 187/500 (Click here for what this craziness is all about.)

 

Seen on a walk . . . around the house to the patio - 


Hibiscus  
Photo by Madeline Mora-Summonte 7/2021

Hibiscus -
Photo by Madeline Mora-Summonte 7/2021


 

*****

 

If/When you feel "meh" what do you do? Do you have any recent "frog moments" you'd like to share? Any suggestions for feel good books/movies/TV?

 

23 comments:

  1. Great idea! Of course, you're talented at that sort of thing and I am . . . not, but I can still have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get frogs every year haha. I have annual photos on my Instagram.

    As for the walking challenge, YOU GOT THIS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder sometimes if the frogs are hoping the tortoises can come out to play. :)

      Thanks so much! Fingers crossed....

      Delete
  3. My walks with the dog have been shorter lately because of bad air quality but any exercise, even housework, seems to lift my mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, chocolate does that for me. :)

      I do know what you mean about the exercise, though. I just have to focus on the "gain" of a better mood after the "pain" of the exercise itself.

      Delete
  4. The hibiscus look awesome. Its ages since I've seen a frog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why the hibiscus is doing so well. Usually by now, they'd be long gone. They must like their spots and the fact we haven't touched them since we planted them. :)

      Delete
  5. I've been feeling pretty meh lately too. I don't think it's much of a solution, but I've just settled on the couch to watch shows. Watched Leverage Redemption on Amazon and it had me laughing out loud at some places. Now we're on the second season of Why Women Kill. I tend to work in cycles and just trust I'll circle back around to my productive time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your idea of settling on the couch to watch shows. Or, I might read. Problem is, I don't give myself permission to do that. I tend to feel guilty which leads to more meh feelings, etc.

      Delete
  6. "There are some reasons and there are no reasons, if that makes sense." <---This absolutely makes sense to me. I've been feeling the same way.

    I don't know if you have access to AppleTV, but I highly recommend Ted Lasso. The first season has really become my emotional support show.

    And I love to see the baby frogs and lizards around the house. But yeah...just not IN the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew some of you out there would get it. :)

      I've been hearing about Ted Lasso all over the place. I am so behind with . . . everything.

      I don't love the frogs and lizards on the patio either, but it is still, technically, outside, so....

      Delete
  7. I'm in the middle of a Meh Moment myself, and have been concentrating on one thing: Taking care of myself.

    No one knows how to look after me better than I do. It's small things like taking a moment to listen to bird song, or soaking in a bubble bath with a book, or stirring a spoonful of hot chocolate mix into my coffee.

    All good things I tell myself I deserve. And you deserve them too. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestions, Anna. The small things can really be like a breath of fresh air. Actually, a breath of fresh air IS one of those things. :)

      Delete
  8. When I feel meh, I tend to read. Good reading makes me want to try for good writing again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is usually my go-to for comfort, but I'm finding even that is more hit-or-miss than usual lately.

      Delete
  9. Definitely in a season of meh. I've given up trying to manage it - just keeping my head above water.

    I've been watching Mad Men. I love how they drink all day long. The black humor in that show just makes me laugh out loud.

    Love James Scott Bell. I've read several of his books. Always makes me look at things a bit differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days, I tell myself to just do what I can do and that will have to be enough.

      A few years back, I read - and enjoyed! - Bell's MARKETING FOR WRITERS WHO HATE MARKETING.

      Delete
  10. For my "meh" moments, I go out and walk. Or, if that's not an option or I'm too "meh" to even consider that, I sit out on my deck and stare at the trees. It helps. I also love taking photos of tiny glimpses of beauty or quirkiness (a different kind of beauty).
    For shows...my husband likes Virgin River and I really liked Manifest, but I've heard they canceled it after the third season (boo).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat hasn't been helping my walking, but sitting on the patio and resting my eyes on some greenery, that I can do. :)

      I really enjoyed the first season of Virgin River, and I planned to go back and re-watch that before season two came out, but before I could, season three showed up!

      Delete
  11. I hope your 'meh' feeling is easing. I tend to put on the TV and watch repeats of shows, or the BBC Pride & Prejudice, which always makes me feel good. Mostly, I don't try to 'do' anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about watching repeats of TV shows, especially old favorites. They can be so comforting.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing the links, Madeline. I'm definitely going to check them out.

    Sadly, I think "meh" is something all writers experience from time to time, especially when we're not Stephen King. I've found watching Masterclass, particularly episodes where famous writers give advice and talk about how tough it was, to be helpful when I have self doubts. Even the athlete ones are helpful, because if anyone understands a winner's mindset, it's Wayne Gretzky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy the couple of classes I watched on Masterclass. I keep meaning to get back to it - so many I want to check out! - so your comment is a good reminder. Thanks! :)

      Delete