Monday, February 11, 2013

Motivational Monday


MY HUSBAND SAYS THE ONLY THING DOMESTIC
ABOUT ME IS THAT I WAS BORN IN THIS COUNTRY.
(Phyllis Diller)

I am not the greatest cook. My idea of a dinner party is to order in Thai food. I don't own good china or special silver. 

I do not keep the cleanest house. My idea of decorating is to add more bookshelves in the living room or to stick more magnets and cartoons to the refrigerator. 

I don't have children. I don't even have a "normal" pet like a dog or a cat (although Larry does like to bark occasionally, and Mrs. L enjoys getting her head rubbed.)
  
I say my husband loves me in spite of these things.

He says he loves me because of them.

I am one lucky woman.

Do you have someone - spouse, partner, best friend, sibling, parent - in your life who not only supports who you are but champions you, applauds you, is proud of you? Since this is Valentine's Day week, go ahead and give them a shout out in the comments. We should all be so fortunate! 

11 comments:

  1. Yes, my significant other deserves a shout out because I am writer in the middle of a meltdown, being all kinds of irrational, and he hasn't moved out yet.

    I am rather lucky, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, ordering in Thai food always works for me too. Even better, going out for it and skipping the dinner party all together. I can't cook to save my life and I am the world's worst decorator. We have a great deal in common I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MJ - my poor husband has survived so many of meltdowns and freak outs that I think he's built up quite the tolerance. :)

    Julie - if only we lived closer! We could go out for Thai food and talk about how neither of us can decorate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife supports me no matter what I do, even if it's something dumb.
    And what's wrong with ordering Thai food on a regular basis?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex - having a supportive spouse/sig other is so amazing. As for Thai food on a regular basis - let's just say that whenever we order something different, the woman at the Thai place wonders if we're having a party, she knows our usual order so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you and your husband are lucky!
    I love the idea of adding more bookshelves as a fashion decorating statement.

    This year my husband and I will celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary, so I guess we must be doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna - if it was up to me, I'd have built-in bookshelves on every wall. And maybe one of those rolling ladders. And maybe a secret panel behind one set of shelves. And...what were we talking about? :)

    And congratulations to you and Walt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We writers NEED these people in our lives, don't we? I'd say everybody does, but writers in particular REALLY need to have someone in our lives who gets what we're doing with all of our "free" time. Your husband sounds like that kind of person. My wife is my cheerleader and my muse -- and even my editor with long projects. I'm so blessed to have her in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Milo - absolutely! My husband sometimes helps me with prompts, like the title of "The Zookeeper." Of course, I'm pretty sure he didn't know I was going to take it in the direction I did. Actually, maybe he did know. We've been together a long time... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww!
    i am with you on #1 & #2...
    enjoy your <3 day =)

    ReplyDelete