Monday, April 18, 2016

Motivational Monday


THERE ARE NO TRAFFIC JAMS
ALONG THE EXTRA MILE.
(Roger Staubach)

The other day, my husband ran into Barnes and Noble to pick up a book while I waited in the car. (If I went in, we'd be there until closing.) He was gone longer than usual, so when he returned to the car, I asked him about it. Turns out, he'd noticed a homeless man nearby, so my husband went to the store's cafe and bought a sandwich and a bottle of water for the man. 

(Now, this does not surprise me at all. This is just the kind of guy my husband is. I'd actually be more surprised if he didn't do this. I'd be checking him for a fever.) 

But here's what makes me smile even more. When my husband went to give the man the food, a woman and her young daughter were doing the same thing. They'd gotten him a salad from the cafe. The man was so appreciative, said he'd eat the salad then save the sandwich for later. 

None of this was caught on YouTube. No one Tweeted it. No one applauded. It was doing good purely for the sake of doing good.

It might seem like no one was paying attention, but I bet one person was. That young girl watched her mother and a stranger be kind, be generous. That will have wonderful, powerful repercussions someday. And we will all be the better for it.

34 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing they both did. And that young girl will go on to do the same one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you shared this. The things we do speak volumes more than what we say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this!! What a wonderful act your husband performed. It is so refreshing to see good people doing kind things for one another. And you're so right—that little girl will remember that forever. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we saw more of this kind of thing instead a lot of what's highlighted on the news, etc.

      Delete
  4. Your husband is very kind. Not seeking publicity for a kind deed is how it should be done, in my opinion. If you seek credit for it, what is the point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if I hadn't asked him about the delay, he probably wouldn't have even said anything!

      I wonder if that woman did the same sort of thing often enough that to her daughter it was just Mom being Mom?

      Delete
  5. We need more people like your husband in the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a wonderful story! It's nice to know there are people who do good deeds just for the sake of doing them and not for some recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, that is awesome that more than one person went to help that man. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Thanks for sharing that experience. I hope my kids have internalized when I have done things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful story. Maybe our "nameless, unremembered acts of kindness" do get remembered some times...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me smile so much. What a wonderful story. And I agree with emaginette, your husband is obviously a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great story. And that is the best way for a child to learn a lesson.

    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those lessons that will embed itself in the memory and become a part of who the person is and becomes.

      Delete
  12. What a sweet story. There is a lot of kindness out there that doesn't get recorded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to think about all the kindness out there when the world seems especially crazy.

      Delete
  13. On one hand, I think it's nice no one made a YouTube video of it. Kindness shouldn't be remarkable, (but these days it seems to be.) On the other hand, people can be inspired to follow in the good steps of others, so publicizing good works is not a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Tamara.

      I think the idea is that most likely someone is watching and even if it's only one person, that person might - hopefully! - do something kind for someone else, starting a positive chain reaction. (There was an old TV commercial - for an insurance company, I think - that showcased that idea beautifully.)

      Delete
  14. LOVE this post! If only everyone were as compassionate and generous. And I agree that it will make a big difference to that little girl to see kind folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes a difference to me, and I'm an adult. It's great reminder that there are people like that in the world - I live with one of them! - and that any of us - all of us! - can do small random acts of kindness.

      Delete
  15. Aww. So sweet. Have a great weekend, Madeline.

    ReplyDelete