Monday, November 28, 2011

Motivational Monday


THOSE WHO SAY IT CANNOT BE DONE
SHOULD NOT INTERRUPT THE PERSON DOING IT.
(Chinese Proverb)

Show this quote to all the people in your life who say you can't do something - write a book, complete NaNo, lose weight, run a marathon, start a business, move to another country. 

Show it to all those people who don't actually come out and say you can't do it but who obviously don't support you or encourage you or show any interest in this thing that is so important to you.

But most importantly, let's show this quote to ourselves, say it to ourselves, whenever we start to think we can't do it either. It has to start with us.

6 comments:

  1. Very wise, those Chinese.

    Congrats on your Nano novel, btw! And just my two cents re: flashbacks...long chunks are always boring. The trick is to weave backstory in along the way so that the reader is not aware that you're catching him/her up.

    Not that I'm good at that. That's why it's so tricky. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote! I needed that reminder. We are our own worst enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LIKE it! I should have posted this when we started Write1Sub1 -- there were so many naysayers at the time. "A story a week? You're insane! They'll be crap!"

    Don't bother me. I"m writing. =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy - thanks! And sometimes, it all seems tricky, doesn't it? At least to me. :)

    Angela - I wonder why that is. You'd think we'd be our own best cheerleaders.

    Milo - I think I'm going to make that quote my mantra for whenever I want to do something new/different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this proverb, as well as your reminder to show it to ourselves sometimes. It's definitely something I'll be saying to myself on this last day of November as I try to sneak in Write 1 Sub 1 after NaNo. (Love the "Reloaded" button, by the way.)

    I can't believe I haven't passed on a blog award to you already (or maybe I have - my brain is mush right now), because I always feel inspired when I read your posts and stories. If you'd like, claim a long overdue one on my latest blog post :-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Jillian! Not only for your kind words - I'm glad my blog etc gives you an added boost when you need it - but also for the award. I'll head over and check it out... :)

    ReplyDelete