Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Store With The Snacks: What If . . . ?

SCENARIO:  Inside one of those big warehouse stores, at one of the food sample tables . . . .

What if . . . the old woman elbowing people out of the way knows this is her only chance to really eat today? What if she gives the little food she has at home to her sick husband? What if he doesn't know how dire their circumstances are?

What if . . . a fistfight breaks out between two women over the last sample on the tray? What if the women know each other and they're really fighting about something else, like one had an affair with the other's husband? What if their kids witness the fight?

What if . . . the middle-aged man handing out samples has a deadly virus that will ultimately cause the apocalypse? What if he doesn't know he has it? What if he does, and spreads it on purpose? 

What would you do with this scenario? Who are all the people who could become characters? Does it trigger an idea for an essay, a blog post, a flash fiction story, a scene in your novel? 

[Thanks to my niece and nephew for the title of this post!]

24 comments:

  1. I can see the second happening in a movie or tv show. I read a short story similar to the first. The third...he must die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why he would spread it on purpose? Does he hate people that much? Or is he being forced to do it to save someone he loves?

      Delete
  2. Wow, I'll never look at those sample giveaway people again.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'll be having any samples anytime soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why my imagination is both my friend AND my foe. Sigh.

      Delete
  4. The last one is the scariest.
    What if the samples were really made of people?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never considered the agenda those sample pushers could have. I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo, lots of good what ifs. What if they're testing an experimental drug on the folks who sample the handouts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A non-fiction book I've been reading is about rivalry between women. So the one about the two women fighting might match what I've been reading about. In my story, it would end with them making up and being "friends" but they'd both still harbor secret resentments toward each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe they start some massive food fight that goes down in the store's history? Everyone starts grabbing packages off shelves, ripping them open, throwing food at other people.... :)

      Delete
  8. I think in the case of the first scenario, the story could first be told from the POV of someone who is very annoyed by the seemingly rude woman and acts out because of it. Then it switches to the woman and shows why she was being so rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Very true in real life, too, isn't it? We don't usually get to see the other person's reasons/motivations.

      Delete
  9. Great scenario. I'd like to see it from the perspective of one of the women - maybe the one needing the food. Or perhaps of the angel watching over it - could take an omniscient POV and the kicker could be how the angel decides to play it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An omniscient POV would be interesting. Or, what about an observer who follows the woman home, intending to yell at her or something then sees the situation....

      Delete
  10. You've given some great ideas...and I'm thinking twice the next time I go to the big box store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think twice. Think three times. Just keep thinking and asking "What if....?" :)

      Delete
  11. I love the way your mind work Madeline. Mine would be working if I wasn't so tired right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind is often a scary place to live - I keep a lot of night lights in there. :)

      Delete
  12. All I know is I don't want to be the guy manning the tray. LOL

    Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete