Friday, February 8, 2013

Recommended Reading - January 2013

We're a little over a month into 2013 and, as always, I'm excited about all the new books and stories and authors to discover. It's been a good month for me in terms of reading. I joined GoodReads - check out the sidebar then, if you want to, come find me and friend me or whatever they call it over there. I'm also making progress - even though I am a bit behind - on my goal to read at least 100 books this year.

*****

Books Read in January:  6

Standouts:

The One I Left Behind by Jennifer McMahon - I've enjoyed all of her books, but this is her best yet. I was freaked out by page five! The creepiness and suspense never let up, but it's really the excellently drawn characters that take this story to the next level.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova - I could kick myself for waiting so long to read this. To be fair, I read Left Neglected first, was blown away by it, then made a note to read pretty much everything else Genova wrote/writes. One of my favorite things about her books is how she takes these sad, frustrating, terrifying situations and delivers them with tight, crisp, clear prose so that there is little to no melodrama and over-sentimentality. Pretty much the only weeping done is by the reader. Have tissues handy.

*****

Have you all read anything that blew you away lately? Are you looking forward to anything coming out in the next few months? (I'm looking forward to new novels by Lisa Gardner and Jodi Picoult coming in February!)

6 comments:

  1. I'm reading an ARC right now that is really awesome and I might get to contribute a blurb to it. (And since I might mess up the blurb so bad the author doesn't use it, I won't name the book.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex - I love when I get an amazing ARC! Good luck with the blurb - I'm sure you'll do the book justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading some books by blogger friends to start off the year and have honestly enjoyed them all. It's been fun to try out genres I may not have picked in the past, and also to feel like I know a little about the person behind the writing.

    I really want to read the McMahon book, sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie - definitely check that one out and look at her others, too. You might enjoy those as well.

    ReplyDelete