Monday, July 5, 2021

Hello, July!

Whooosh! That's the sound of summer flying by. (And believe me, that's the fastest moving thing around here. If the tortoises and I had a race, I would not put money on me to win.) Still feeling behind and overwhelmed, but I'm working on having a more positive and grateful mindset overall and that's definitely helping. 

 

WRITING

My story, "Twisted," is out now in INFECTION: DRABBLES 1 (LEGENDS OF THE NIGHT). If you like your apocalyptic zombie fiction bite-sized (ha! get it?!), give it a try! 

 



*****

 

READING

The First Day of Spring by Nancy Tucker is chilling, compelling and heartbreaking. The author does an amazing job of humanizing a horrifying character. With a few simple lines, she makes you re-examine everything you thought you knew, making you not necessarily forgive the character but feel for them. 

 

*****

 

WATCHING

Movies – We really liked "Awake" on Netflix. 

 

*****

 

WALKING

We participated in a virtual 5K that raised money for sea turtle conservation and research. During this sweat-soaked stroll, we saw so many turtles - crossing roads, sunning on banks, sticking their little heads out of lakes. They were totally cheering us on! 

 

Miles walked as of 6/30/2021 = 166.5/500 (Click here for what this craziness is all about.) 

 

*****


How's your summer going so far? Made progress on any projects? Have you read or watched anything you'd recommend?  

25 comments:

  1. I think blaming your surgery makes perfect sense. Your focus should be on healing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the story publication, Madeline. Sounds like you've at least had moments of productivity while in a slump. Just the last month or so, I've been tempted to hide in a comfy chair with a pile of books to read and just forget about everything else. It's like a spring fever on steroids. Not sure what that's all about, but at least I'm reading...that's worth something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia! Unfortunately those productive moments are few and far between. Sigh.

      I'm with you on wanting to hide in a comfy chair with a pile of books. I think I'd make stacks and stacks of books and create a fort for myself. :)

      Delete
    2. That's a great idea! What would work for soundproofing?

      Delete
    3. More books? Or a giant wall of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups? Of course, we'd have to replace everything we read and ate.... :)

      Delete
  3. I've found I can't watch zombie movies, but I've been able to read about them. This looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a scene in an older movie that has stayed with me for years, yet I don't think that would've happened if I'd read the same scene in a book. It must have been something about the visual nature of it or the actors or something.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love it when a writer can make me feel horrifying character!

    We currently have a free subscription to AppleTV, so we've mostly been watching that. Loved Ted Lasso & Mythic Quest.

    Nice job on the walking and the story publication!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author did such an amazing job of humanizing that main character. I'm still thinking about the book....

      Thanks, MJ!

      Delete
  5. Hi Madeline, I made loads of progress in my writing (touch wood). Gave myself specific goals and met them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been cheered on my turtles, but I bet I'd like it. Oh, yes, I would. ;-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they were cheering us on, but the thought helped me keep walking so I'm going with it. :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on your story publication.
    Sea turtles? I need to google them. I'm sure they are creatures worthy of conservation, but I admire you for walking for them. I'd just cheer from my armchair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job on the 5K and GRATS with the publication! Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loni! I would love to stay cool if only I could remember how. :)

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the drabble publication and the miles and miles of walking that has been accomplished!
    Every word counts. Every step counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! If only I could count the words written as miles walked.... :)

      Delete
  10. Wow! Blown away by your mileage! Those turtles were definitely cheering you on.
    And, Congratulations on your drabble publication!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on Twisted! And Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. It's the journey, not the final count, that matters.

    Summer has been better for me - got to visit my daughter in San Diego and I'm actually working on a new book. Every day is a new puzzle to work through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee!

      I'm glad to hear your summer has been good. Yeh on your trip and the new book! :)

      Delete
  12. Congrats on more publishing success, Madeline. The turtle fundraising walk sounds really cute.

    And yes, I do have a recommendation! The three-part documentary Sasquatch is fantastic. It's not what you think it's going to be, but it is SO good. Absolutely riveting. I didn't want it to end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JH!

      I love when people are so excited about a book/movie/TV show. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete