Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Oddly Compelling

Lately, I'm finding a number of things oddly compelling. I can't seem to stop focusing on them, and I'm not exactly sure why. 

 

For instance, I'm drawn to the phrase oddly compelling. 😁

 

Here are some more examples: 

 

* September. This month always makes me think of school supplies and cooler weather, fresh notebooks and sweaters, even though I've been out of school for many – many! – years, and I won't feel a cool breeze here in Florida until October. 

 

* My flash fiction story, "Oh, Brother." I have no idea where this one came from, but the main character's voice spoke up loud and clear. It's also a time-travel type story, something I don't believe I've ever written before, and the whole thing is structured as a letter to someone. I totally enjoyed writing it, and since it made the cut as a finalist for a contest, I guess it didn't turn out too badly. 

 

* A longer writing project. An idea has been ducking and hiding at the edges of my creative playground for some time now. The problem is, I can't quite see or hear it. I know it's there and I know it's something, but I don't know what – a novel, a novella, a story collection? I'm trying to give it space for it to show me, to see if it wants to slip down the slide or hang from the monkey bars. I'm trying to be patient, but I want to play already!

 

* Samantha Downing's novel, For Your Own Good. It is so much fun in a totally bizarre, insane way. I can't stop thinking about it! 

 

* Walking. If I did the math correctly - and that's a huge if - I don't think I'm going to complete the 500 miles for the walking challenge. It's possible, but I'm not sure I have it in me to put that much pressure on myself. I am going to keep at it though, and whatever miles I end up walking will still be more miles than I walked last year. I don't know if this is pure determination or pure stubbornness on my part, but either way, I have to finish, no matter what it looks like. 


*****

 

Have you found anything oddly compelling lately? What is your September/Fall looking like? 

25 comments:

  1. I love Time-travel stories, have written many :)

    Oddly compelling is an addictive word ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to have a hard time wrapping my brain around all the potential tricky elements of time-travel stories, whether books or movies, etc. Thankfully, my story is pretty short and straightforward.

      Delete
  2. I hope you figure out what your longer writing project is. And awesome that you are reaching your 500 miles of walking challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool the story was a finalist.
    Whatever you hit in walking, it will be an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the school supplies part of the back-to-school season. So many pretty pens and notebooks!

    Congrats on Oh Brother! and the walking goal!

    Hope the playground project shows itself soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to give the playground project some more space and time this month and see what happens. Fingers crossed.... :o

      Delete
  5. Fall school supplies reminds me of the Back to College issues the fashion mags put out. Do they still do that? I haven't read a fashion mag in decades. And now, I am oddly compelled to check this out. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since my wardrobe consists of mostly shorts and t-shirts, fashion magazines would flap and flutter away from me as they screamed in horror. :)

      Delete
  6. Kind of... I've been canning. Haven't done it for years. I'm up to my elbows in YouTube videos, jars, lids and the rest. Hitting any and all farmers markets.

    Fun for everyone. hehehe

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had a great deal of difficulty resisting school supplies. I taught for so many years and raised 6 children. I want to go buy some pens and notebooks I have absolutely no need of. Sounds like your muse is really busy and loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you can ever have too many pens and notebooks. :)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on the flash fiction finalist recognition and all your walking success. That story lurking at the edge of our consciousness will break through soon, I'm sure. What I find oddly compelling is the idea of a nap. Every day. One hour. I can feel the call today, even though I haven't even had lunch yet. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia!

      The Call of the Nap is compelling indeed. :)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on all the walking, Madeline! That's huge.

    I'm sure your upcoming project will make itself known to you once it's ready. :)

    I feel the same way about September: new start, new beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the project is sneaking onto the playground proper now.... :)

      Delete
  10. Congrats on being an finalist. That longer idea will gradually form - I'm in a similar position at the moment, I'm letting my subconscious lead the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I'm not the most patient person so sitting back and letting the story come to me is not always easy. :)

      Delete
  11. Ooh, how long is your story? I saw Smoking Pen Press is going to open for submissions for time travel stories come October 15th. Flash might be too short though. Their range is 1200-7000. Still, your post made me think of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for thinking of that, Loni! My story isn't even 500 words so probably won't work. Unless...I go back in time and revise it.... :)

      Delete
  12. I was focused on the word was for a day. It just looks wrong. Why isn't it wus? Or wuus?

    At least your obsessive thoughts lead to productive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, most of the time my obsessive thoughts just turn into more obsessive thoughts. It's like a weird mind movie that never ends.

      Delete