Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Book Blues

Here it is, only the third month of 2011 and I'm already suffering from The Book Blues, otherwise known as A Reading Rut.

Don't get me wrong - I've read a handful of books I really enjoyed and would recommend. One of those, by the way, is an excellent mystery/thriller by C.J. Box called Three Weeks to Say Goodbye. But I haven't fallen in love with anything yet, haven't fallen headfirst into a story, haven't gone to sleep with the characters moving through my dreams.

Now, I realize THE ONE might be patiently sitting on my bookshelf, waiting for me to pick it up. But, until I do, how about some recommendations? Tell me about your absolute favorite book or one you're just blown away by or one you've heard great things about and can't wait to read yourself.

Please? "Blue" really isn't a good color for me. (Okay, actually it is, but you know what I mean.)

6 comments:

  1. I read several review blogs because I prefer a recommendation. I've been surprised by the gems I've mined through my son's literature classes; so on the off chance you haven't read "Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger, it moved up to the top of my favorites list from junior year reading list. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers is also good.
    Let me know if you read either and what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did read PEACE LIKE A RIVER but it was quite awhile ago. I don't remember it all that well but I do recall that I enjoyed it.

    Thanks for the recommendations, Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So first, I'd like to say "Belated congrats on that HM!" Would love to read it, but guess we'll have to wait.

    Also, congrats on all your subbing. I expect to see publications soon!

    And finally, my rec: A Tale Dark and Grimm. I feel like I've already told you to read this because I'm always telling people how much I loved it. It's MG, I think, but no matter. If you've ever read a fairy tale and loved it, you MUST read this grim, Grimm tale. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cathy!

    Yes, you did tell me about that book - I have a note of it but I might have to bump it up the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you one of those readers who sticks with a lousy book to the bitter end, or do you give it a shot in the first twenty pages or so to hook you? I'm learning to be the latter; there are too many good books out there to be stuck in the middle of a bad one. I'm reading THE PASSAGE right now; it's had its moments, but it's l-o-n-g. So far, it's sort of holding my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be one of those people who stuck it out until the end but no more. Like you said, way too many good books out there to waste time on something that's not keeping me interested.

    I read THE PASSAGE and I enjoyed it overall. I'm not someone who shies away from a long book but even I thought it would've been better as two. Maybe a series instead of a trilogy?

    ReplyDelete