Monday, March 21, 2011

Motivational Monday Quote


ONE DOES NOT DISCOVER NEW LANDS WITHOUT
CONSENTING TO LOSE SIGHT OF THE SHORE
FOR A VERY LONG TIME.
(Andre Gide)

I like a plan. I like to prepare. I tend to keep one foot safely on the ground until it's safe to take that next step, that leap. But I'm learning that while this way of doing things has its pros, it also has its drawbacks.

I keep trying to get all my ducks - characters, scenes, story lines, story threads - in a row for my novel-in-progress but it's like herding tortoises - slow and stubborn. I'm afraid to jump into the novel without some sort of outline in place. I tend to fall somewhere in the middle of plotters (those who plan meticulously) and pantsers (those who wing it.) I've dipped my feet in a few times - let myself just write - and it felt wonderful. I don't want to wade in - I want to jump in and dive and swim and swoop like a dolphin. I want to plunge myself into the story and splash up words like shining sea drops. 

But in order to do those things, I need to let go. I've stopped with the backstories and the scene cards and the tabs marking every other piece of paper. At least for the moment.

But I still need to believe in myself, believe I can find my way back if I need to. I need to believe that something exciting and right and wonderful is ahead and that I'll get there, I'll find it, if I only let go. 

4 comments:

  1. Your quote for the day is an inspiring one and something to keep in mind when getting cold feet about taking risks.
    Thanks for sharing your quote and post!
    Donna V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The writer's angst, does it ever go away? Do the six figure authors still have those days they aren't sure where the plot is going? I think so, so consider yourself in good company. Keep writing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sally. I know for me, doubt is a constant companion - not only in the story itself but also in writing in general. Some people have little angels and/or devils on their shoulders but I also have Doubt. I don't think a lot of non-writers understand what that's like.

    ReplyDelete