Monday, March 14, 2011

Motivational Monday Quote


I HAVE A WRITER'S MEMORY, 
WHICH MAKES EVERYTHING WORSE
THAN MAYBE IT ACTUALLY WAS.
(Amy Tan)

I can take a minor incident and turn it into the Titanic. I can take a small snub and turn it into "nobody likes me anymore and never will again." I can take a sniffle and turn it into walking pneumonia.  You get the picture.

But, apparently, all of that isn't just me being dramatic. Or emotional. Or crazy. It's just me being a writer. Whew! I feel so much better now. 

BUT...

...sometimes things are as bad, as hurtful, as crazy, as dramatic as I think they are. That's when it's time to let my writer's brain out of its cage and let it chomp and gnaw and tear apart whatever is happening. It makes a big mess but I usually end up with a character, scene, or story as a result. And it makes me feel better.

Maybe whatever was going on wasn't so bad after all. Or maybe it was. Either way, as writers, we're ready.     

2 comments:

  1. You're right; we definitely know what to do with the material in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly gives us a different perspective, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete