Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Recommended Reading - April

It was a fantastic month for reading! Three of the six books I read this month are what I consider Standouts. I love when that happens! 

*****

Books Read in April:  6

Total Books Read in 2013:  26

Standouts:

Close My Eyes by Sophie McKenzie - make a note of this book or reserve it at your library NOW. It doesn't come out until July 2013 but it's going to be big. If you enjoyed Before I Go to Sleep, Into the Darkest Corner and/or Gone Girl, definitely check this one out. I had to suspend belief a little more than I care to in a few spots, but the underlying tension and sweeping suspense carried me through. 


(I received an ARC of this from BookBrowse for an unbiased review.)


***

The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell - here's another one to add to your list or to request as soon as possible since it comes out next week. This is historical suspense at its best! The closer I got to the end, the more I wanted to read the pages peeking through my fingers - I had a pretty good idea of what was about to happen but I had to see it through, no matter what. 

(I received an ARC through Goodreads for an unbiased review.)


***

Wool by Hugh Howey - I read the Omnibus (Wool #1-5) and was totally unprepared for how much I enjoyed this and wanted more, more, more! I felt like I was reading a sci-fi Stephen King tale. Even if science fiction isn't usually your thing - it's not really mine, either - I would still thoroughly recommend this. The characters are probably what made me enjoy this as much as I did. 

*****

Has anyone read any of the Standouts? What did you think? Do you plan on reading any or all of them? What are you reading and loving lately?

17 comments:

  1. You read AND did the A-Z? Woman! You are a wonder.

    They all sound like good reads. I'm going to have to start a list. First I'm going to read all the books I bought in April before I add more. At least that's what I'm telling my husband. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that you got so much reading done during the A-Z month! I'm so behind on my reading for the year it's crazy. I hope to remedy that over the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jai - my husband has long given up on me reading what I own before I get more. He's a good man. And a smart one. :)

    Julie - please don't be too impressed since I'm still way behind, at least according to the Goodreads Challenge thingy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recs. I was a big fan of GONE GIRL, so I'll definitely be adding that one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate - definitely check it out!

    Michael - I didn't know it was going to be a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Wool on my TBR pile. Good for you getting reading done and A to Z.
    I just finished Horns and found it heartbreaking and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually just bought Gone Girl recently, and I can't wait to jump into it. After I read that, I might revisit this post and re-read your recommendation for the other book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan - if I don't read, I get cranky. :)

    Cynthia - I find people either love GG or they really don't like it. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's something about the title The Other Typist that intrigues me. I'd definitely check it out if I saw it in a bookshop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annalisa - I know, right?! And the cover is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check these books out.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your reviews. I'd heard some buzz about The Other Typist. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gina - I hope you enjoy them if you decide to pick them up.

    Donna - I think the buzz is definitely deserved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I only read 1.5 books in April, so this is very impressive! I'm trying to clear the backlog I have, but came across sooo many recommendations in the A-Z - it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i have heard good things of wool, will have to check out!
    and loved your a to z king quotes. im worried about where we are headed with the tmz gen too. dummies!

    yay for your book count and back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nick - I know! I added more books to my TBR list, too.

    Tara - The WOOL Omnibus runs about 500 pages but it is an amazingly fast read. And I'm not sure how "normal" we're back to, but I'll take it. :)

    ReplyDelete