Thursday, October 13, 2011

It's Tricky

The other day, I was helping my two and a half year old niece, T, put her sandals on. These things had more straps and flaps than a straitjacket (which I was pretty sure I was going to need by the time I was done "helping" her.) I turned her little foot this way, then that. I tore at the Velcro parts only to have them mush together again when I glanced away. I finally said to T -

"I'm sorry, T. Aunt Maddie's having some trouble with this."

She looked up at me, brown eyes big and solemn in her little face, and said, "That's okay. It's tricky."

Words of wisdom from a little girl with the patience of a saint. So, on the days I feel like I am the foot trying to force my way into the sandal of life, of writing, I remember her words and smile.

So, if you're having a rough day/week/month/year, remember - It is okay. It is tricky. Sometimes the Velcro works, and sometimes you just have to give up - go barefoot and make your own way.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great advice.
    Your niece is a very wise young lady.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the same niece who wears a crown with flashing lights so of course she knows what she's talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of the mouths of babes! I love this story...great wisdom. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete