Wednesday, April 20, 2011

When You Love What You Do

I am not a big fan of going to the dentist but it has nothing to do with the actual dentist or the hygienist. In fact, these are two people who love what they do. The dentist has a big, positive personality - it fills the room - and let me tell you, he knows teeth. The hygienist is meticulous and sweet and also has a positive attitude. Now, do they have a positive attitude because they love what they do or is it that they simply apply that positive attitude to everything they do? I wonder.  

Now, as a writer, I complain. A lot. About rejection, about writer's block, about the changing publishing industry, etc. You get the picture. The funny thing is, I love what I do. I mean it. I grouse and grumble but when everything clicks - when the characters are talking to me, when the setting solidifies before my eyes, when all the plot pieces come to fit seamlessly - I know I am doing what I am meant to do. Actually, I know that anyway. I know I'm meant to write, I know I'm supposed to be a writer. And that is why, and that is how, I get through the bad days.

Having pretty, clean teeth doesn't hurt anything either.

2 comments:

  1. I love writing, too -- and I HATE going to the dentist. Just the thought of that drill whining...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think about the drill! Think about words and stories and books instead... :)

    ReplyDelete