Friday, August 13, 2010

A Writer's Best Friend

Well, this writer's best friend is her husband.  Here's a bit from the About Me section of my website -   

"...Sometimes my speech is like my handwriting - indecipherable. But my husband is both interpreter and translator. No one encourages me and believes in me like he does. Even when I want to stop believing in myself, he won’t let me. He listens to me moan, watches me mope, and cooks me lots of pasta but then he gently guides me back to my desk and sits me down, knowing strongly enough for both of us that the characters will speak, the scenes will set, and the words will come." 

The thing is, he not only supports and encourages my creativity, but he's also creative in his own right.  He's quick with the one liners, and he comes up with puns that make me groan with laughter.  When I'm stuck searching for a title, he usually saves the day.  He's my first reader - he tells me when something works for him and when it doesn't.  He's tough and honest.  He won't tell me something is good if it isn't.  He wants me to be the best writer I can be, the best me I can be.  Isn't that what a best friend is for?

I know it's only a small post on a small blog but the words and the feelings behind them are huge.  Today I celebrate my husband's creativity and his role in mine.  I couldn't do any of this without him.    

2 comments:

  1. You are so blessed! Having a strong support system really frees the mind to be creative, doesn't it? I need to say thank you to my hubby more often. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, I know it, Stacy. I need to say thank you to my husband more often, too. :)

    ReplyDelete