Monday, August 5, 2024

Feeling the Heat

Well, I kind of hit the wall last month. Writing wilted. House projects petered out. I blame the heat. Key Lime Pie ice cream can only do so much.  

READING – 

Five stars for Josh Malerman’s Incidents Around the House! It’s been a long time since I was so freaked out by a book. I am still thinking about that ending…. 

 

WRITING – 

I subbed a longer short story of mine to a market I thought might be a good fit. Apparently, a lot of people thought the same thing about their stories since the market received over 700 submissions. That’s a lot of crossed fingers, including my own! Unfortunately, my story was not accepted, but a hearty congrats to all those that were! 

 

An older idea from years ago keeps popping up. I ignore it, but that doesn’t work. I jot down thoughts in a notebook in an effort to contain them then put the notebook in a drawer to keep them out of sight. That doesn’t work either. So, I’ve been noodling with the idea off and on. It’s like it was asleep for a while, then decided to stick its head out as if reminding me it’s still there and would like some attention now, please. Like the tortoises coming out of their shells, looking for more arugula to eat or for a nice shell rub. 

 

TORTOISES – 

The other day, Mrs. Larry was all smushed into a corner, but with her head poked out just enough to keep an eye on things – as usual. While Mrs. L was watchful, Larry was all chill. Head resting on the edge of the water dish, face tilted toward the window, he snoozed under the warm light. He looked so content, it made me smile. 

 

*****

 

Are there any endings – from books, TV shows, movies - that haunt you? (Please no spoilers! Don’t give away the actual ending to anything!) What do you do when an idea keeps returning? Any animal/pet antics that made you smile lately?

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need to work on that idea.
    The ending to The Sixth Sense was very wow. Of course, then the director tried to do that with every movie so you just ended up expecting a twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like that, doesn't it? Until I start looking over all my old notes, wondering what - if?! - I should go through them all or just wing it, starting from now.... Sigh.

      Yes on the wow! We re-watched that not too long ago, and it was still very good. Held up well.

      Delete
  2. Maybe you should try working on that idea that won't go away. It might inspire you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of sneaking up on it . . . or letting it sneak up on me. Neither of us wants to startle the other or we'll end up fleeing in opposite directions. :o

      Delete
  3. Sounds like there is definitely something brewing for you. My guess is it will pop up strongly when you least expect it...when you are half asleep or in the shower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a dollar for every time something like that happened . . . :)

      Delete
  4. I just returned home after a while away, so my puppies have been extra cute and snuggly. I hated being away from them, but they're so nice to come home to.

    And it does sound like that older idea may be ready for its close-up. Something worth exploring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to see pictures of the pups on your blog.

      I am not much of an explorer in person but maybe I can do better on paper. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm blanking on the story, but after I read the last word, I felt different and knew I'd never be the same again. Sadly I can't remember the title, it was a long way back.

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me of a quote by Oprah (or maybe it was her quoting Maya Angelou) about how we don't always remember what people said but we do remember how they made us feel.

      Delete
  6. I still think about the ending of The Others. I'm not the type of person who watches a film or reads a book looking for the twists, so it was a shock.

    When ideas keep nagging, you need to listen. That's my experience, anyway. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you talking about the movie with Nicole Kidman? I think I saw it but not sure....

      Thanks! I'll take all the good luck I can get. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's the one. Great film - I need to watch it again.

      Delete
  7. I love it when a story speaks so loudly it pushes me to write. Right now, my problem is the story isn't speaking. I decided to finish the series because it's a smart business move, but I have another story that would rather be written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, as you finish the series, that story will speak up, start getting louder, shout. And the other story will sit quietly by, patient, waiting for the series story to blow itself out. :)

      Delete