Monday, August 1, 2022

The Sweat Sock of the Summer

Well, July was one slimy, stinky sweat sock of a month around here. Any progress made - on the miles challenges, on writing, on you-name-it – is pretty much gone. 

 

Thankfully, it was – for us, anyway – mostly first world problems, everything from minor health issues to my beloved coffeemaker of 10 years brewing its last cup. It was more that the problems just happened to arrive all at once, like a gaggle of unexpected guests, flinging their luggage everywhere, taking up all the space, all the air.   

 

So, August has to be better, right? Right! At the very least, it will be caffeinated. 



WATCHING – 

TV – "The Old Man" on FX/Hulu – it's a little slow, but the acting is excellent!

 

MOVIES - We re-watch JAWS every July 4thand always love it. We also re-watched and enjoyed GOONIES and STAND BY ME. 

 

 

READING – 

THE PATIENT'S SECRET by Loreth Anne White – dark and twisty!


LISTEN TO ME (Rizzoli and Isles, #13) by Tess Gerritsen – I've missed this series!


A RIP THROUGH TIME (A Rip Through Time, #1) by Kelley Armstrong – the beginning of a time travel mystery series I look forward to continuing! 

 

*****

 

How was your July? What do you do for coffee? Do you have any recommendations for coffeemakers, that kind of thing? Read or watched anything good lately? 

15 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why it was worse in July, but it definitely was. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. July was a good month for me, for one it was my birthday month and two my books were heading for publication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachna: So glad July was good for you! And Happy (belated) Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why problems always seem to travel in a group, but they do. I hope August is kinder to you.

    We just have an electric kettle with which to brew tea/coffee/whatever. Works well for us. I like it so much better than the Keurig.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MJ: I hope August is kinder, too. Fingers crossed!

    And thanks for the electric kettle idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you encapsulate the hardest of days with your simile about guests! :)
    Coffee makers - we have a lower-middle of the line espresso maker that we love and use at least twice a day, even though I need to keep my caffeine level at a minimum. (I try)
    Recommendations: The Progeny by Tosca Lee, The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime (I know I'm five years behind everyone else, but it's really good), and Ballistics and other Poems by Billy Collins.
    Hope you have a less sweaty and far better August!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tyrean: I try to keep most of my caffeine intake to the morning hours. For all the good it does - my blood pressure and my sleep don't seem to care. :o

    Oh, I remember you mentioning the Billy Collins book somewhere - your blog? Goodreads? I do keep saying I want to read more poetry....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, it's always those unexpected things that throw a wrench in productivity plans. I hope things calm down and you have a better August than you had July!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loni: I'm not good with change or disruption in general, but when so many of those kinds of things - no matter how small - hit me at once, it's so not pretty. Thanks for the good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, July sucked. August is going to be a time of setting some boundaries. I am one woman with two hands who has no interest in trying to run the universe anymore.

    I love the Rizzoli and Isles series! Will definitely be picking up the latest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lee: Ah, but if you ran the universe, there would be more wine. :)

    I wasn't sure I'd remember enough of the Rizzoli and Isles series to enjoy the new book, but it worked out fine. If you're already a fan, you'll enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our July was busy with family things but I do love the heat as long as I can walk in the morning. Thanks for the book recommendations and yes, love rewatching those classic movies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan: I don't mind the heat so much, but the humidity is so draining.

    If you pick up any of those books, I hope you enjoy them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every time I think I'm going to be productive, the universe sends me a mess. I'm going to quit bragging about all I'm going to get done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elizabeth: I hear that! Maybe if I stop saying I'm going to do so many things, I'll actually do at least some of them, and then it will look like I actually accomplished something. :)

    ReplyDelete