Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Melting

So far, my summer of getting stuff done is going . . . okay. The biggest issue for me is lack of oomph. I'm not sure if it's my meandering mind, my foggy focus or the Florida summer heat. I am convinced, though, that I'm not sweating but melting, like a giant scoop of gelato. (Hey, I'm half Italian!)

 


WRITING – 

I'm struggling with the novel/novella. It's starting to sprawl, and I'm having trouble remembering everything. Apparently, my brain forgot how to hold more than one idea inside it. It's been a long time since I wrote anything longer than flash fiction so maybe that muscle is as flabby as the rest of me. I'm determined to keep at it though. I believe in it! 

 

I revised and subbed one story. Of course, it wasn't the story or the market I was aiming for, but I'll take it.


 

READING - 

I recently enjoyed two YA mystery/thrillers: QUEEN OF THE TILES by Hanna Alkaf (Scrabble tournament! Set in Malaysia!) and THIS GOLDEN STATE by Marit Weisenberg (A family on the run! A home DNA test!)

 

And I loved Chris Bohjalian's historical fiction/thriller, THE LIONESS (1960s Hollywood and an African safari!) 


 

WALKING – 

Even though we're behind on the miles challenges, we're keeping at it. I, apparently, need some sort of goal to even get up off the couch so quitting is not an option.  

 

Stats as of 6/30/2022 = 

124.2/202.2 miles (walking only)

0/100 miles

0/100 miles

 


I think I'm just going to apply – and repeat! – the tortoises' favorite mantra to everything this summer - slow and steady, slow and steady….


 

*****

 

How's your summer going? If you were a frozen treat, what would you be? Have you read anything good lately? Do you have a mantra, for the summer or in general? 

23 comments:

  1. I was in Florida in May. Too hot for me! I'm glad you are sticking with the novella. I'm not an outliner, but when I get a good idea, I do write it down so I don't forget it. Be proud of your walking. I have been unable to get into a walking rhythm for months. I try to justify it by doing a lot of gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now imagine Florida in July . . . . :o

      One of my problems with the novella is that I have too many notes, too many scraps of paper, half of which contradict each other. Sigh. I've gotten better at dating them, so that way I can at least tell which was the most recent.

      Gardening takes a lot of oomph so good for you!

      Delete
  2. Quitting is not an option!
    This week, we are definitely melting here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all these years here in Florida, I know the summer will be hot, but this summer feels hotter than usual. Stay cool, Alex!

      Delete
  3. Heat does tend to suck the ambition from my body, so I can understand a lack of oomph.

    Sprawling is a natural state with my writing, though with every scene I put down, I analyze and ask, "is this pushing things forward? Is it driving toward my end goal?" My first novel had tension issues, and I'm determined not to repeat that mistake.

    I recently read a book and thought of you. You once recommended Ninth House to me. I'm actually starting that now, having not gotten into it when I first picked it up because Brandon Sanderson had released a new novel at the time and I got distracted. But I just read Gideon the Ninth, and the whole Ninth thing reminded me of your recommendation. I enjoyed Gideon the Ninth, as it's gothic horror + contemporary humor. Not sure it's the level of suspense that you typically enjoy, but it's about necromancers, and it's got that darker flavor you might like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm not used to my stories sprawling since they're usually so short - the plots are tight, there's only a couple of characters, etc. In this novella, which let's face it, might end up being a novel, I've got at least 5 characters and a whole other world to come up with. What was I thinking?!?! :o

      Thank you for the book rec! I hope you enjoy Ninth House. I believe there's a second book - sequel? - coming out soon.

      Delete
  4. There's a book with a Scrabble tournament set in Malaysia?!? Well, I'm going to need to read that.

    I'm behind on my miles challenge, too. The heat really doesn't help with that. Also, I am incredibly lazy. :)

    Best of luck with the novel/novella. I know you'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check it out, MJ. There was a whole mystery element, too, that kept me guessing.

      I've actually been doing a lot of fitness walking video/streaming stuff so I get to stay inside and cooler. It makes it easier to convince my lazy butt to get up. :)

      Thanks, MJ. Fingers crossed.....

      Delete
  5. Keep working on that novel, someone out there is waiting to read it, Madeline!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got around to starting Linda Castillo's thriller series set in Amish country and am read for book four. The crimes are brutal but the characters are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love that series! Book #14 just came out, and I've got it on hold at the library. Can't wait!

      Delete
  7. Ah yes, the unrelenting heat season has arrived. Let the whining begin!

    I'm into the CJ Box Joe Pickett series right now. Don't judge the books on the terrible t.v. version. So miscast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my husband has read some of CJ Box's work and enjoyed it. We started watching a show on Hulu based on his books, I believe? Not sure if it was the Pickett series or not, but we didn't care for it.

      Delete
  8. I enjoy the heat but it's not Florida heat. Doing pretty good on the exercise and medium on the writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent on the exercise! And medium on the writing is nothing to sneeze at. :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Makes me sluggish, physically and mentally. The a/c helps but even then I often feel less oomph. But hang in I will! :)

      Delete
  10. Slow and steady is a great mantra. :) Keep believing in your novella! I take notes to remember all the details and still sometimes forget things, so my editing process sometimes is all about dealing with details I want to keep straight. I think this is normal - or at least I'm going to say it is. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tortoises are happy to hear it. :)

      I'm still in the process of making decisions on those details, picking one fork in the road for my characters to go down, etc.

      Delete
  11. Thanks, Patricia! I'm hoping that by giving myself a deadline of sorts it will help with the time factor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel ya on the focus. If only I had better focus...

    Good luck finding yours!

    ReplyDelete