Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Standing Room Only

When we moved houses recently, I wanted a stand-up desk for my new office. I was doing too much sitting/slouching/slumping. But I had a few concerns: 

- I didn't want to spend a lot of money, since I wasn't sure if I would like using it. 
- I didn't want something big, clunky and industrial looking. 
- I wanted something I could move if I wanted to, you know, actually sit at my desk. 

And so . . . taaa daaa!


Hmm, doesn't look like much. Three pieces of bamboo perched on a desk. 

But check this out:


It looks totally precarious, right? But it's not! It's incredibly sturdy! (That being said, I'm still careful reaching for my coffee, etc. I wouldn't go gesticulating wildly near it because, in theory, the laptop could be knocked off.)
  
I use it at least once a day for a chunk of time. I find some projects are more conducive to using it than others - when working on something where I need to write notes, shuffle paper, etc, I like to sit. But social networking is perfect for standing, since I'm just reading and commenting.

Here's the link for StandStand. It's a great site with clear info. Definitely check out the videos - the one on the Home page and the one on the About Us page. I love the fact that it's Made in the USA, out of sustainable birch or bamboo. 

If you give it a try, I hope it works out as well for you as it's working - fingers crossed! - for me.

(I am not a spokesperson for this company. I am not compensated in any way. I just like the product and thought you all might, too.)

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really is clever! If you watch the About Us video, the inventor talks about how he came up with it.

      Delete
  2. I used to pile heavy books on my desk at work and put my laptop on that. My coworkers would give me the oddest looks, but I hated sitting for so many hours a day. Wish they had offered one of these back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were ahead of your time. :)

      This is portable so I guess you could take it back and forth to an office if you wanted to, if the office didn't/couldn't spring for them.

      Delete
  3. Very cool. I don't use a laptop most the time. (Not enough processing power--especially when composing music with sampled instruments.) Still, I would love to try a standing desk. I do exercise while writing on a portable device and I think it gets the brain working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you exercise while writing on a portable device. I agree that standing/moving fires up different neurons, gets our brains working differently.

      Delete
  4. How neat! Thanks for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son set up a stand up desk plus treadmill at his job and loves it. I think best when I'm still so it wouldn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I like the idea of a treadmill desk, I don't think that would work for me. I have trouble reading while on the treadmill, let alone writing. :)

      Delete
  6. I stand when I am socially networking on my iPhone. Sometimes, I even do it while I walk, which is really dangerous. I've walked right into parked cars before. I'm not a multi-tasker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please be careful! I've heard of people walking off things and falling or walking into the street while doing stuff on their phones.

      Delete
  7. I've thought about a treadmill desk, but I don't think it would work for writing...just things like social media. I write in one of those "chair and a half" chairs with a big ottoman, while surrounded by big windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My desk faces a big window, but I try not to look out too much. Sometimes it's great for staring and daydreaming, other times it's a real distraction.

      Delete
  8. Hey, at least if you were to knock your coffee over on your desk, your laptop is sitting up high and dry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! I like that you can put it on top of your regular work surface. I've always been curious about a stand-up desk and have worked with my laptop on my kitchen countertop since it is slightly higher than my table or desk. I'm going to add this to my "hmm, maybe Christmas?" list since my birthday just passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things I really like about it, too - that I can keep my desk for when I want to sit and for when I need to spread out papers and stuff. Definitely keep it on your Christmas list! :)

      Delete
  10. Looks cool! I have heard about stand-up desks, but never actually seen them. I have a proper sturdy desk and a chair, though I love writing on my bed, but nowadays I am making it a habit to sit at my desk and write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wrote in bed, I'd probably fall asleep and have all kinds of weird, funky dreams. :)

      Delete