Thursday, August 16, 2012

Call Out For Submissions: THE FIRST LINE'S First Line Contest


I just love the idea behind The First Line - every story in the issue starts with the same first line. My story, "Weekend Escapes," was published in the Summer 2010 issue and it was so much fun to see how many different paths the other stories took.

And now, to celebrate its 15th year, the folks at The First Line are holding a contest. They're looking for the best starter sentences . . . from you! Click on the above link for all the information but here's a quick summary:

* Submit up to 2 sentences for consideration
* Winners receive $50 and five copies of the issue using their first line
* Deadline is August 31, 2012

Good luck!

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great opportunity. Thanks for letting me know--and congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard enough time coming up with first lines for my blog posts. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna - go for it! :)

    Pam - you do pretty well with your posts, don't worry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. Wish my first line was killer good. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily - give it a try! I sent one in - we'll see what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simon - don't wait too long. You only have until the end of the month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, thanks for passing along this opportunity. Many of my stories "come to me" in the form of a first line, and I'm sure I have some interesting openings kicking around that I never managed to develop further.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jillian - I bet it will be interesting to see what other people would do with a line you didn't develop yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh...this is tempting...=]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Milo - go for it! I'm sure you've got some great first lines hanging around. :)

    ReplyDelete