Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Give Me an O! ODD

Welcome to The Blogging A-Z Challenge April 2012! Some of the most popular posts here at The Shellshank Redemption are the Motivational Mondays. So, after consulting the tortoises, we decided to make April our Motivational Month! Please join us for this (almost!) daily dose of alphabetical inspiration. We hope you enjoy it!  

* WHEN I SAY WORK I ONLY MEAN WRITING. EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST ODD JOBS. (Margaret Laurence) *

I purposely did not go out and get myself a “career.” I wanted a “job” - something I could leave behind at the end of the day, something that didn’t suck the life out of me, something I could do and do well but then take myself on home and get on with what I was meant to do.

Sure, sometimes I wonder if I should’ve done it differently. I’d probably have more money, maybe live in a bigger house, maybe have the respect and interest of family and friends, maybe do some good for others (depending on the career.) But would I have been happy? Maybe. Maybe not.

One thing I know for sure, though, is that I would much rather wonder if I should’ve had another career than wonder if I should’ve pursued my writing the way I always wanted.

13 comments:

  1. I used to teach high school English but I left it because I wanted a job and not a career. Every night when I went home, I was still doing work for school. I didn't want to blow it off so I did it and I wasn't writing. Now I work in retail, have no responsibility whatsoever so when I get home, I can focus on my manuscripts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger I wanted a 'career'. As I got older I just wanted a job. I did not want a career path anymore. Just let me do what I'm supposed to do and then bye-bye I'm going home!

    Stopping by as part of the A to Z Challenge!!

    Giggle, Laugh, Cry

    ReplyDelete
  3. M.J. - I hear you! I did a lot of clerical work - filing, answering phones, etc. - then when the work day was done, so was I. :)

    Donna - thank you!

    Kerrie - thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are quite a few of us around who quit careers (or, in my case, never really got started with one) in order to pursue vocations, especially writing. All the cool kids are doing it.

    A-Z @ Elizabeth Twist

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've mostly had jobs and am grateful for that. Careers are too committing and inflexible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My teaching career is draining, but I get a lot of time off to recharge and write, so it's a good balance -- the last two years in particular, since I've been able to teach a couple creative writing electives and get paid for them. What a concept!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is definitely something to be said for being able to leave the job "at the office" by the end of the day.

    I was in a position that had a lot of responsibility but very little authority - the worst combination, IMO. Quit the 9-5 job 10 years ago and never really looked back. Enjoy your A to Z-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Madeline, you are rocking this A to Z challenge! I just spent the last 15 minutes or so, catching up on the quotes. But what I've really enjoyed is your thoughtful take on each one of them.

    Thank you for the daily inspiration! (Now if I could just remember to stop here daily...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that attitude. Everything else are odd jobs. Its all about perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel just the same. Technically my job is a househusband, but is that how I want to describe myself? Hell no! Luckily I can write when I really should be hoovering... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth - I've never been part of the "cool" group. I guess I am now. :)

    Susan - preaching to the choir. :)

    Milo - I think the difference for you is that you are one of those teachers that the kids are going to remember and look back on and say how much you influenced them, etc. You have two careers and are good at them both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jess - a lot of responsibility and little authority? Ugh. Just...ugh.

    Cathy - thank you so much! Maybe Cathy-On-A-Stick could remind you to stop by... :)

    Stephen - definitely!

    Nick - if you figure out a way to write and hoover at the same time, let me know. My house would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete