Thursday, August 25, 2011

Please Pass the . . . Poetry?

As most of you know by now, I read. A lot. But I tend to read mostly fiction with a handful of nonfiction thrown in. And this September, I thought I'd expand my horizons - but please not my bookshelves! - and try some poetry.

The last time I seriously read poetry was back in college...a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. Bits and pieces still cling to the recesses of my mind but they're more facts - who wrote what - than the feelings, the responses I had to the works. I've read poetry since then - one of my favorites is Maya Angelou's "Phenomenal Woman" - and I have a book called Ten Poems to Last a Lifetime edited by Roger Housden that I haven't read yet, but that's about it.

So, this is where you all come in. Any suggestions on where I should start? I'm up for anything - humor, nature, modern, sonnets, etc. Do you have any favorite poets or poems? Any thoughts regarding the best way to read a poem, to experience it?

Thank you in advance! I look forward to learning from you all.

2 comments:

  1. Madeline, the world of poetry is vast and varied. You might begin with following Writers Almanac on Public Radio. Garrison Keillor highlights a different poem each day. Then, if you find one you enjoy, look into the poet's work more? An anthology of poets might work too as an introduction? Personally, I love poets Mary Oliver, W.S. Merwin, Mark Strand, Linda Pastan and Robert Frost is a perennial favorite. But there are so many to choose from. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, thank you so much! I've made a note of all your suggestions. I actually took a class on Robert Frost that I really enjoyed. (It was about a million years ago so I had forgotten I had even taken it, let alone liked it!) :)

    ReplyDelete