Monday, February 5, 2024

Twenty-Four

This year, I'm loosely following Gretchen Rubin's The 24 in 2024 Trifecta  – "One Word" (which I mentioned last month), "The 24 in 24 List" and "The Write 24 in 24 Challenge."

  

*****


The 24 in 24 List – these are 24 things I hope to accomplish in 2024. It includes some fun things – art classes! - but it's mostly tasks that have been driving me crazy for the last few years, and I need to get done before I lose the little sanity I have left. I probably won't get them all done, but I'll be pleased with just a handful.

 

*****

 

The Write 24 in 24 Challenge – I put this on my 24 in 24 list, and I don't care if it's kind of cheating – it's my list, I'll do what I want. (My One Word = Unapologetic!) This takes place over the whole year, writing 2-4 minutes OR 24 minutes every day. Now, some people might ask, don't I, as a writer, already do this? And the answer is yes . . . and no. I do pretty much write every day, but it's not as focused or as imaginative as I'd like. 

 

Over the last few years, I've lost a lot of my creative joy. I don't know if this challenge will help, but we'll see. I'm also going to re-focus on shorter works – flash fiction, micro fiction, short stories, maybe a novella. So much of the novel work I've been doing has felt so heavy, like one of those weighted blankets. (By the way, I tried one of those and felt so trapped, I almost had a panic attack.

 

*****

 

Now, we did not do this on purpose to continue the theme, but my husband and I are re-watching the old TV series, "24" starring Kiefer Sutherland. We're up to Season 7, and although it's gone off the rails a bit in these later seasons, it's still been a lot of fun. I only wish I had thought to create my own version of a "drinking game" so that every time Jack Bauer or another character said "dammit" I'd get to eat a Peanut M&M. 

 

*****

 

Are you participating in any challenges this year? Do you find them helpful or too restricting? Are you feeling the joy in your creative endeavors or are you trying to get it back? If you're a fan of the weighted blanket, please tell me, what am I missing? Do you remember 24? Watching anything that's fun for you? 

22 comments:

  1. I don't write every day either. Not feeling the creative joy either, so maybe that challenge would help me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, Alex! Even just for a month! I find I can jot something down - a story idea, a description, etc - in 2-4 minutes. I use the 24 minutes to brainstorm, mind map, etc or develop an idea. Often, I tend to work past the time.

      Delete
  2. I never really got into that TV show. I'm not doing any official challenges. I'm finding some joy in trying to get my previously published books back out there. Hope you find your joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I used to watch Prison Break then 24. It took an hour for my heart to stop pounding so I could go to sleep! :)

      Good luck with those previously published books, Susan!

      Me, too. :)

      Delete
  3. I hope the challenge helps inspire you. I don't do challenges, but I'm writing more regularly. And it's inspiring me to keep going. I don't write that much. Just on my lunch hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. So far, so good.

      Writing regularly and on your lunch hour is awesome! Keep going! :)

      Delete
  4. I love that your TV viewing fits the 24 theme. I never got into the original show, but there was, like, a revival or reboot or something that came out a few years later where they were in London or somewhere, and though I don't recall any of the details, I do recall liking that season.

    I like the idea of the 24 in 24 list. Maybe I'll make one for myself.

    Best of luck with your challenges—I'm rooting for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there is/was a spin-off or something with a different actor, but for us 24=Jack Bauer=Kiefer Sutherland. :)

      I find the 24 List helpful because it gives me some direction, like I'm not all flailing around, lost. Good luck if you give it a try!

      Thanks, MJ! I can use all the help I can get. :)

      Delete
  5. Love these! I made "achievable goals" for this year, which include things like writing a messy draft, hugging someone, laughing out loud so loudly that it makes people look, etc. But I love the idea of a 2-4 minute writing challenge. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an interesting challenge. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No challenges, but I do make lists. Lists are the only thing that helps me make things happen. That includes submitting. hehehe

    And I'm with you on writing shorts. I've gone back to them too. I'm putting some effort into refilling my creative cup and getting some fun stuff down on paper or on the screen. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good list! Maybe that's part of why I like "The 24 in 24 List." :)

      Good luck on refilling that cup!

      Delete
  8. A great idea to reignite your writing passion. Lists are awesome. As are Peanut M&Ms. I noticed at work last night that the vending machine has them. I work at a gym - professionally I'm against such items as people walk out of their class. As a chocolate-lover, I applaud the vending company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between the Write 24 Challenge and going back to shorter works, I am feeling a little better about things. Fingers crossed! :)

      But surely they've burned enough calories after class to have some? Many more calories than me sitting on my couch watching TV. :)

      Delete
  9. I wish you great success with your 24 challenge! Challenges are hit and miss for me. Sometimes I'm good with it (like work's Colonel's challenge where I have to get 30 hours of aerobic exercise in before March 11th) and sometimes they make me break down and spiral into despair. I guess 10 years of the work challenge gives me the confidence that I can succeed, so it's not so daunting, while things like art challenges, I've failed at enough times that I just stop doing them.

    I look forward to reading about your success! And enjoy 24. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loni! I hear you about some challenges working out and some not. Happened to me plenty of times. In general, though, I tend to get more done when I have some outside accountability, even if it doesn't really matter if I don't complete it.

      Stay tuned! :)

      Delete
  10. February is a roller coaster of a month for me, emotionally. I don't want to kill any conversations, so it can stay at that.

    I will make time to make the last shelving unit for the back room, then there are the baseboards, which I hate to do, they are an art that I don't want to practice at.

    I am 375k words into my current WIP. The blog is going up and down, even though I have been considering it a need, there are so many small parts of it to run through the old grey matter that it hurts at times.

    Other than that I am contemplating retiring so I can catch up on everything before spring arrives. What I do was a lot more fun when it was a hobby and not a business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there, Craig . . . .

      I've had my blog for so long now. I really should update it, make it snazzier. Actually, Mrs. Larry would like that. Larry is more like me - we don't do change very well. Good luck with your blog!

      Delete
  11. I love this idea. I often don't write because I will tell myself I need a few hours. Then I end up doing nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I jot all kinds of stuff down in that 2-4 minute window. If nothing else, it gets me thinking creatively even though my mind is often all murky. :)

    ReplyDelete