Monday, May 2, 2022

What Silence Stirs

Last month, I mentioned trying to be more aware of when I spoke and of what I said, hoping to put less "noise" out into the world. 

 

It stirred up a memory from childhood when I was told my quiet, shy personality could possibly come across to other kids as me being "stuck-up." As an adult, I worry that those same personality traits – in addition to my now trying to not blather on for no reason - are making me seem aloof or uninterested. 

 

This whole experiment also reminded me of how much I crave quiet, both outside of myself in terms of sound and hoopla, and inside of myself in terms of drama and turmoil. It almost feels like within the quiet is the only way my brain, my body, my heart can breathe anymore.  


 

WRITING –

A novella/novel is slowly coming together. It's still in the notes stage but those notes are starting to form a big messy pile so, you know, progress. 

 


WATCHING – 

TV – We really enjoyed the first season of Abbott Elementary (cute and funny!). We just started The Queen's Gambit (intriguing!) and Better Call Saul (my husband laughed so hard at a line from the first episode he about fell off the couch.) 

 


READING - 

I've recently read a number of enjoyable mystery/suspense novels – my go-to genre! - but sometimes I like to switch it up. I just finished Four Treasures of the Sky by Jenny Tinghui Zhang, an historical/literary fiction novel that begins in the 1880s, in China, and takes the reader on a journey that won't soon be forgotten. 


 

TORTOISES – 

Whenever we take the tortoises out on the patio, Mrs. Larry enjoys sitting under the grill. There are other places to sit with better views, but Mrs. Larry is her own tortoise. 

 

The other day, the tortoises discovered the grill actually moves. So, under Mrs. Larry's direction, Larry "the muscle" slid the grill a little this way, a little that way, until Mrs. Larry was satisfied with the new location. And, as we all know around our house, if Mrs. Larry is happy then we're all happy.


 

*****


What's your impression when you meet someone who's quiet? What do you need to "breathe"? Watched any of those TV shows? Have a go-to genre for reading? Think we should let Mrs. Larry be in charge of all things decorating and design at our place? 

29 comments:

  1. I'm the quiet one. I prefer to listen rather than talk. And in high school I was called 'stuck up' which unnerved me to no end because I equated being quiet to being polite by letting others talk.
    I guess I remedied my situation because I married someone who talks all the time. I rarely get a word in edgewise. LOL!
    But I do like quiet. I even taught the dogs sign language so I wouldn't have to give them commands out loud.

    re: Better Call Saul
    We need to see that. It's on our watch list.

    re: Mrs. Larry
    Well, wives should always have the final say in redecorating, but since you live communally (and you pay the bills), Mrs . Larry should let you get final say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting re the dogs and sign language!

      I think the only reason we do get final say is because Mrs. Larry doesn't care about the furniture, etc. that doesn't affect her. :)

      Delete
  2. That's one smart tortoise! Moving grills, or rather directing their movement.
    Better Call Saul is a fascinating train wreck to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both smart. In their own ways. :)

      It does feel like a fascinating train wreck, and we're not even that far into the series.

      Delete
  3. I tend to be the quiet one. Funny about your tortoises. Glad you're making progress on your current project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie. The novel/novella is still a mess, but it's starting to look like . . . something. :)

      Delete
  4. I also got labeled stuck up more often than I care to remember because I am shy, especially in new situations. But once I'm comfortable, I tend to talk too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why it often seems that the initial thought isn't quiet or shy but stuck-up?

      Delete
  5. Yep, I was quiet and shy growing up. Deep down, I still am, but I fake it until I make it these days. I need moments to myself in the garden, moments reading and a lot of writing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a gardener, although I like the idea of doing container gardening or something similar. Definitely yes on the reading and writing time - I think I'm most myself then.

      Delete
  6. I've always been a quiet person, and it surprises me to hear that sometimes think I'm stuck-up because of it. I'm far from it. I just enjoy the quiet. My husband is a huge fan of Better Call Saul! I love your stories about the tortoises. Mrs. Larry does seem to know what she's doing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just watched an amazing episode in the first season of Better Call Saul, one that focused more on the character of Mike. Blew us away, it was so good.

      The tortoises are very entertaining. :)

      Delete
  7. Mrs. Larry sounds like my kind of gal. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Madeline, I can always find the difference between quiet people and stuck up people. I've always wanted a tortoise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to watch both Abbott Elementary and Better Call Saul. Loved the Queen's Gambit.

    I'd totally let Mrs. Larry be in charge of decorating and design. That sounds AWESOME!!

    (Also, hooray for writing progress!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check out those shows, MJ! Almost done with The Queen's Gambit....

      Thanks on the writing progress cheers. It's slow going, but at least it's going.

      Delete
  10. I had that same kind of thing happen to me as a kid - told that I came off as snobby because I was quiet/shy. I was terrified of speaking in conversations, not snobby! So, now I veer between quiet and verbose, depending on the place and who I'm with. I prefer quiet for many hours at a time, punctuated by good conversations with people I'm comfortable with.
    I'm adding that book to my TBR list.
    And go Mrs. Larry! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on the quiet hours and good conversations!

      I do read historical fiction, but this was a different era/POV/subject than I usually read. It was good. and I learned a lot.

      Delete
  11. I like the quiet as well, and try to avoid large groups (and not just because of COVID). It just feels better in body and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so with you on needing a quiet space, and a lot of it. Too much noise jangles my brain.

    I really enjoyed The Queen's Gambit. I'm going to give Jane Seymour's Harry Wild a try. I've been through most of the British police dramas on Brit Box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've only got a few episodes left in The Queen's Gambit, and we're torn between wanting to see what happens and not wanting it to end. I've heard of Brit Box, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
  13. Hahaha... Your tortoises are too cute :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that Mrs. Larry is taking it upon herself to redecorate. :)

    When it comes to being quiet, I'm not sure where I stand. I'm usually not the one talking in a group setting, but when I'm one on on with someone, I tend to blabber. But I do require quiet to recharge, otherwise I get overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on needing the quiet to recharge! Lately, I find too much hoopla and noise and talking very overwhelming.

      Delete