Monday, February 1, 2021

Forward into February

For some reason – and no reason – January had me stymied at almost every turn. Even so, I'm choosing to focus on the positives! Here are some highlights: 

 

WRITING 

Since one of my stories tied for first place in a Crystal Lake flash fiction contest in 2020, I was invited to participate in their Best of the Best challenge, only open to contest winners. Let me just say this: Whew! That was some tough competition! My story didn't win or place, but I'm honored to have been included in that bunch.

 

***


READING

2021 started with the suspenseful The Nothing Man by Catherine Ryan Howard. It not only gave me the creeps, but also offered a creative twist to the alternative POV structure. So well done! Loved it!


***

 

WATCHING

TV-wise, we're trying some old-but-new-to-us shows, like "Justified." I can't even begin to tell you how much we're enjoying it! [Please no spoilers in the comments! We're only up to season 3 or so.]

 

Movie-wise, we watched "Don't Tell a Soul," starring Rainn Wilson. So well acted and full of great twists! 

 

***


TORTOISES

We had some cold-for-Florida weather, which meant the tortoises had to stay inside. But it finally warmed up enough for them to wander the patio, taking the occasional break to sit under the grill.

 

***


WALKING

Seen on a walk: A man, dogs on the seat next to him, pulls his golf cart up to the stop sign. Music drifts over from the cart. The song? "Sweet Child o' Mine" by Guns N' Roses. 

 

Miles walked as of 1/29/21 = 28/500. Hmm, this might actually be more miles than I walked all of last year. (Click here if you're wondering what this craziness is all about.


*****


How's your year going so far? Have you read or watched anything good? (Again, please no "Justified" spoilers!) Are you making progress on any challenges or goals?

26 comments:

  1. That was an honor to be included in the contest.
    Glad the tortoises got out for some sun. Would be way too cold for them to go out here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was!

      It will probably be too cold for them here this week, too.

      Delete
  2. The man, dogs, and the golf cart playing Guns N Roses sounds like my significant other.

    Congrats on being invited to participate in the Best of the Best challenge!

    And I am ashamed to admit I have yet to even open a book this year. I hope to change that this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For all I know the man driving the cart was from Guns N Roses. Hey, everyone's got to retire somewhere! :)

      Thanks!

      The year is still young, MJ. You've got lots of time yet for reading.

      Delete
  3. The Best of the Best challenge sounds tough, but well done on the win which got you there :-)

    Here's to a great February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annalisa! It was some tough competition, let me tell you. Whew!

      Yes, let's hope for a fabulous February for us all. :)

      Delete
  4. I had a similar problem between Christmas and the end of January that I called inertia. I'm better now, getting tasks and projects working again. I have to admit, I watched a lot of mindless TV during my lazy days. I recorded as many thrillers and musicals as I could find on TV and plowed through them all. I do love those old Hitchcock movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're doing better now! I'm hoping to get back on a better track this month myself. Fingers crossed! :)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on being included in the Best of the Best contest. Competing with the best, I think, can only make us better.

    I've only read a few books this year. Most notable is "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. It's highly inspirational, and I plan to read it again very soon, only next time, I'll keep a highlighter nearby so I can mark the passages that especially resonate with me.

    I've been enjoying watching new-to-me shows on TV, too. The most recent one is "Outlander," and so far, I'm loving it.

    Take care, dear lady, and stay warm. (It's not SUPPOSED to get cold down there!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! And you're right - being a part of that crowd made me want to continue challenging myself and to keep improving in the craft. :)

      I read Outlander ages ago and enjoyed it.

      I'm not used to the cold anymore. If I could, I'd crawl in with the tortoises so I could sit under their nice warm light. :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on being chosen as one of the "Best of the Best"! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to check out The Nothing Man. Always up for some creepy. hehehe

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of the Best - how sweeet! Keep it going!

    I'm up to the last season of Doc Martin. That's been fun. I'm walking a lot, too. Helps keep the head clear and I love the brisk, winter air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee!

      I'm glad the walking is working for you. It's much easier to walk here in the cooler weather. I'm trying not to think about the summer months.... :o

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your writing and walking!
    I loved the little "seen on a walk" moment. It is wild and often humorous to discover what we can see at a walking pace that goes unnoticed at a driving pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tyrean!

      I love walking outside - so much to see and hear, etc. :)

      Delete
  10. Woot! You're rocking the walking! And awesome that you got invited to the best of the best event, even if you didn't win. That's great.

    I haven't watched Justified, so no spoilers from me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Loni!

      I know we're taking a risk for spoilers by watching an old-but-new-to-us show, but fingers crossed we can finish it up before finding out anything. :)

      Delete
  11. I challenged myself to start querying my novel after taking a break for a few months. Progress? Zero! As for watching, I enjoyed Virgin River on Netflix, and a few other light-hearted shows. I can't do anything to scary or stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Querying that novel IS progress! :)

      Yes on Virgin River! Watched the first season awhile back and really enjoyed it. Trying to decide if I need to rewatch it before starting the second season.....

      Delete
  12. No spoilers, but I love Justified! I never missed it when it was on live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for no spoilers! We're about to start season 4.... :)

      Delete
  13. Hi, Madeline! Being invited to a "Best of the Best" contest! Good for you! And congratulations on those 28 miles. I haven't done so well this month. You'll get to 500 miles. Have a great February, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      And I bet you did better than you think. :) Wishing you a great February, too!

      Delete