Monday, September 16, 2019

You Are Not a Bulldozer

Every once in awhile, my writing life starts to feel like an assembly line, like my stories are widgets I'm just churning out. This happens when I stop paying attention – attention to the craft, to creativity, to passion and to purpose. And, to my regret, I haven't been paying attention for longer than I care to admit. 

But this past summer, I found my way back to myself and to my writing, and earlier this month I read an excellent blog post by Annie Neugebauer over at Writer Unboxed - "Advice to Writers Who Are In It" - that reinforced a lot of what I recently realized. Here are a few highlights that struck me: 

On working harder"What matters is that you do your best work as often as you can without burning out. When you're mid-project, you need to be deep, deep in your high-effort zone every work day for a good chunk of time. It's not about what other people are doing or can do; it's about what you can do."

On thinking more deeply"Thinking is valuable. I'm not trying to sound condescending, but we often forget that. In a society that tells us we have to be proving concrete output to be productive, it's easy to bypass that nothing-to-show-for-it part of the process where we stop and really think. Think hard. Think deep. Think for a long time, if you need to. It's what ultimately makes your work great. Thought. Don't let the word count bogies convince you you don't have time for it."

On not barreling through"Sometimes we need to "power through," yes . . . But for the love of all things literary, stop barreling through. You're not a bulldozer; you're a writer. Writing isn't always a thing you can muscle. Willpower, maybe, but not the craft . . . Sometimes slow is faster in the end."

*****

How's your writing life? Are you working harder, thinking more deeply? Or have you been barreling through? Can you guess what the tortoises' favorite part of this post is? 

25 comments:

  1. I should probably bulldoze through my current chapter since I know what needs to happen and just need to get the words down!
    I love the bit about thinking. I'm still really uncertain about my ending, so I'm trying to spend a lot of time thinking and brainstorming about it whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the brainstorming! I spent a good chunk of time doing that for my NaNo project. Still more to do, of course, but it's been so much fun. Something I'd forgotten.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a bulldozer - I will remember that!
    Taking time to think. No problem.
    Glad you have found your happy groove again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, the trick is not to OVERthink. But I'm getting better at making story decisions and going with them. :)

      And thanks, Alex.

      Delete
  3. Ah, thank you! I like to think I'm a bulldozer with my first drafts, but then at I usually end up stopping to daydream, think, replan, etc. I think I'm kind of a mid-plotter - I like to start, and start, and start, then I stop and sift everything for a while, plot a bit, and actually finish. Understanding what works is important.
    I'm glad you're finding your writing groove. Make it your own. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about how understanding what works is important.

      My writing groove isn't pretty, but it's all mine. :)

      Delete
  4. Those are all great tips. I like the first one especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally recommend reading the whole post over at the Writer Unboxed site - just follow the link. :)

      Delete
  5. My writing life has been challenging lately. I'd planned to spend a lot of this summer writing, but ended up with multiple editing projects and a brain that just wanted time off. I'm getting back into it now, but as always after an extensive break, it's not easy. However, I did do a lot of thinking, so I guess that counts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that for myself I need to listen to what my body and my mind are telling me they need. Sure, sometimes I need to push but sometimes I need to rest.

      Oh, and all that thinking you did totally counts! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad to hear that it taking me an entire day to decide where to put a comma is useful work.

    Jokes aside, some days I will have to step away from the key board and imagine the scenes/story through. I've never appreciated those days as helpful. I was too busy berating myself for being a slug on those days. No more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like, when did daydreaming and brainstorming and thinking become something we berate ourselves for?! Sheesh!

      Delete
  7. Thought-provoking post, Madeline, with great advice! I plan to follow the link in a moment. I think a lot about my writing when I'm doing monotonous chores like ironing or vacuuming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find washing dishes or showering helps me clear my mind and think about story. Maybe it has something to do with water. :)

      Delete
  8. Great tips! I’m back to travel and distractions, as you can guess by my late arrival for comments, so I’m kind of trying to hang onto my mojo with my rapidly-slipping fingers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late to visit and comment! :)

      Maybe let your mojo enjoy your travels and become even more inspired?

      Delete
    2. I’m trying. Often it just gets distracted, but I am making progress thinking about the next book while I hike. I can just see the conversation: “What are you thinking about?” “I’m plotting my next murder.”

      Delete
  9. I found out that being a bulldozer can empty an imaginary cup that takes months and months to refill. No NaNo for me ever again, for that very reason.

    Now I take a breath, think, let my subconscious do some heavy lifting and then plug away. It seems to work most days.

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your NaNo experience is so interesting! For me, I'm doing all the daydreaming and planning and thinking before November. This way, I'll be ready to go, fast and furious! Or, as fast and furious as I get anyway. :)

      Delete
  10. I've bulldozed through the summer. Writing-wise, it was productive, but now I'm burned out. Definitely need some deep-thinking down time.

    Tortoises' favorite part of this post: that it's based on The Tortoise and the Hare allegory?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear your summer was productive writing-wise. Now give your brain a break!

      You know it. :)

      Delete
  11. It's been far too long since I've done any actual writing on my WIP, but at least, I'm starting to think about it again. Whenever I have time, I've been plugging away on someone else's book. Semi-editing, and semi-rewriting. She's thrilled with it so far, but it's been a slow slog. Slower than your tortoises. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent that you're getting back to thinking about your WiP!

      Hmm, maybe you need a treat like the tortoises do to get them moving faster? :)

      Delete