Thursday, August 28, 2014

Summer Reading - The End

Back at the end of June, I wrote about my favorite books of the summer up until that point  in time - Summer Reading - Part I. Here's the wrap-up - from the end of June until August 28th - of the some of the best books I've read this summer -

*****

That Night by Chevy Stevens - I'm not sure she'll ever be able to top her first book, Still Missing, but this thriller comes very close.


*****

Someone Else's Skin by Sarah Hilary - Sarah was one of the first online writers/bloggers I "met" more years back than I care to admit. A few months ago, I saw an ad for her book on Shelf Awareness and promptly added this gripping, compelling mystery to my TBR list. Add it to yours - you won't be sorry.


*****

Torn Away by Jennifer Brown - this YA novel is an utterly heartbreaking story of loss and an amazingly hopeful story of love. This is my new favorite Jennifer Brown novel and easily one of my favorite books of the year so far.


*****

Little Mercies by Heather Gudenkauf - I read this with my heart wedged up in my throat. If you ever saw a news story and thought something along the lines of "How could he/she do that? That would never happen to me" or "I would never let that happen," think again. Accidents - terrible, horrifying accidents - can and do happen to the best of us. This novel reminds us of that, and shows how healing and hope can still be possible.   


*****

Gunn's Golden Rules: Life's Little Lessons for Making It Work by Tim Gunn (with Ada Calhoun) - A big part of the reason I enjoy watching Project Runway is Tim Gunn's always dapper, always encouraging presence. I use his catchphrase - "Make It Work" - for everything from writing to making dinner. This is a fun read, not only because it's got behind-the-scenes stories of Project Runway, but also because it's full of wisdom and humor and heart.   


*****

Have you read any of these? Do you think you'll give one or two of them a try? What have you read and loved this summer?

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read these but several of them look quite intriguing. I'm going to check them out because I'm on a huge reading binge right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read any of these, but I'm fairly eclectic, so some of them look pretty good! Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound like really emotional books and I've been avoiding that and reading only for entertainment this summer. Concentrating on fantasy series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're a fan of Project Runway, the Tim Gunn book would probably be considered a "lighter" read - I laughed out loud in a few parts. :)

      Delete
  4. Haven't read any of these yet but I'm sure going to. They all sound like excellent reads. I've read Snow Blind by Christopher Golden (ghost story), The Enlisted Men's Club by Gary Reilly (Soldier waiting for his orders to head for Vietnam), The Woman Who Loved Jesse James by Cindi Myers, and When the Past Haunts You by L.C. Hayden (mystery--see the giveaway at my blog). All were so good. So many wonderful books, so little time.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think you'll like a few of these. And I've had Snow Blind by Christopher Golden on hold at the library for a bit now - should be ready for me to pick up next week. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks Madeline for introducing these amazing books to me. That Night is something I am eager to read.

    ReplyDelete