Monday, July 15, 2013

Motivational Monday


FIRST PERSON NARRATIVES HAVE TO PASS
THE ELEVATOR TEST:
WOULD YOU WANT TO BE STUCK IN AN
ELEVATOR WITH THAT PERSON
FOR SIX HOURS?
(Nathan Bransford)

My husband has a different version of this test. He calls it the "elevator shaft test"* and he applies it to the protagonist and any other main characters in a book. He asks himself, "If this character fell down an elevator shaft, would I care?" If the answer is no, he stops reading the book. If the answer is, "I want to push the character down the shaft myself" then the book gets thrown against the wall. You get the picture.

He tends to want likable - not perfect - protagonists. I don't necessarily need to like them, but I have to find them interesting and compelling enough to want to see what happens in spite of the fact that I don't like them. The funny thing is, in real life, my husband is the more patient of the two of us. He'll put up with a lot from others. Me? My patience is apparently reserved for people on a page. 

All types of people inhabit the real world, so why shouldn't they live in our story world as well? The same goes for readers - some want a hero to root for and a fairy tale ending, others want a complex and dark protagonist with a glimmer-of-hope ending, while others want something in-between. 

I say let's give our readers the best characters and the best stories we can. They can decide who they want to chat with in an elevator and who they would rather run up twenty flights of stairs to avoid. Remember, it takes all kinds. 

* This comes from an ancient episode of the TV show "L.A. Law" - and now I feel old - where one of the most disliked characters on the show falls down an elevator shaft. Literally. 

18 comments:

  1. I remember that episode of LA Law! I think I cheered.
    I have to at least like the main character to keep reading. That's why I'm not a big fan of anti-heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! :) I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers it.

      Delete
  2. To me, interesting > likable. So "interesting" is my litmus test :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that litmus test for characters in books or is it for people in real life? Or both? :)

      Delete
  3. I love that quote! I also agree that it's more important to have interesting than likable characters. Now that I think about it, I might want to push some of my characters down an elevator shaft, but it's the situations that they're thrown in mixed with their contrasting personality that makes things interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point about the situations contrasting with the personalities!

      Delete
  4. That's a really great quote! Nice post.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I go for compelling, too. Though they have to be really compelling if I don't like them. We should definitely be applying this litmus test to our own characters!

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - there definitely has to be something that keeps us reading about unlikable characters, and I guess that 'something' is probably different for everyone.

      Delete
  6. Ah! Very interesting test. I hadn't heard of it til now, but it makes sense to me. I'll definitely have to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great quote. I like unlikeable characters sometimes, but I kinda want to know there's going to be a good change by the end because I like to see them learn and grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point about how characters - even and/or especially - unlikeable characters need to change and grow, at least to some degree.

      Delete
  8. Ha! I love your husband's character test. I've met a few characters that have made me want to throw books against the wall. ;)

    "Compelling" is important. There's has to be something about the character that makes me care, whether I like him or her or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think it's funny how my husband has so little patience with characters - to the point where'd want to throw the book - but yet is so good dealing with real life people. :)

      Delete