Monday, March 11, 2013

Motivational Monday


WHAT'S THE GOOD OF LIVING
IF YOU DON'T TRY A FEW THINGS?
(Charles M. Schulz)

I like my routine. It's called a comfort zone for a reason. Pillows line the walls of my zone. (Not padded walls, thank you very much. Not yet, anyway.) Pajamas or t-shirts and yoga clothes are the attire. Books abound. Chocolate and cheese are on the menu. It's peaceful, quiet.  

Why would anyone want to leave the safety and security of that comfy place to go somewhere that might be hard and sharp and tricky? 

Ah, that's the magic word, isn't it? Might

If you try a new route to work, you might get stuck in traffic or you might find the best coffee place you've ever tried. 

If you try a new restaurant, you might hate it or you might find a new favorite go-to place.

If you try to read in a different genre, you might want to throw the book across the room or you might find a favorite new author. 

That's the thing I'm learning. Might means possibility. I'm not about to abandon my comfort zone, but I am definitely willing to step outside it now and then. It might be the worst idea I've ever had...or it might be the best. We'll see.

How about you all? Have you stepped outside your comfort zone lately? What did you do? How did it feel?

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS...I am a HUGE believer in stepping outside one's comfort zone. It's a risk sure, but isn't anything worth discovering risky by nature?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not the most daring person in the world, but I'm willing to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OE - glad you liked it! :)

    Alex - even a small step is better than no step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting question. I am not a poet, but I tried writing one over the weekend. It was not easy, tu I think I've learned from trying something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna - good for you! I'm not a poet either, but maybe I'll give it a go one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you know, just last week, I socialized. In public. With other people. Some of which I didn't know.

    I had a blast, and I can't wait for our next get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am an adventurer at heart. I used to travel everywhere--all the time (ex-flight attendant.) But your post makes me realize that, lately, I've been pretty routine based. I may not be able to fly around the world like I used to (not right now anyway :-) but I bet I could find a small adventure closer to home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my comfort zone is quite large - I'm happy to walk into a pub and have a drink by myself, for example. On the other hand, I stayed in the same job for 15 years because I am a nervous wreck in interviews. Perhaps if I carried a pillow around with me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annalisa - kind of like a comfort blanket, right? :) It's funny how certain things bother some people while other people don't even blink and just get on with it.

    ReplyDelete