Monday, July 16, 2012

Motivational Monday


...I CARE WHAT MY READER THINKS. THERE IS NO FANCY RECOMMENDATION YOU CAN GIVE ME THAT WOULD MATTER TO ME AS MUCH AS MARY JANE FROM YOUNGSTOWN WRITING ME A LETTER. THERE IS NOT ONE. 
DON'T NEED IT, DON'T WANT IT, DON'T REQUIRE IT, DOES NOT FILL UP MY SOUL. 
IT'S ABOUT HER, NOT ABOUT THE REST OF IT.
(Adriana Trigiani, Writer's Digest July/August 2012)

My goal as a writer has always been to affect people with my writing the way I was, and still am, by what I read. I want to make people laugh or cry or run screaming from the weird noise coming from their closet that might just be the house creaking but, well, it also might not be. 

Don't get me wrong - money and awards and accolades are very much welcome - but whenever I've gotten an email or a comment about something I've written - a story, a blog post, etc. - it's a vindication, a validation, a fist-pumping yes! that I am on the right track, that I am doing what I am meant to be doing, that I am reaching that goal again and again and again. 

So, whenever you all take the time to leave a comment about a story I've written or a blog post that moved you, please know that you are aiding in the achievement of a life's goal and it is so greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. I agree; positive feedback from a reader is so wonderfully gratifying!
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mina - it's one of the best parts of being a writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with this. The kind words I've received over some of my articles have been the biggest thrill about writing to me. It's such a great feeling to know that something I wrote touched someone, there's nothing like it in the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie - I remind myself, too, that our words - stories, articles, essays, poetry, blog posts - often touch people and we might never know it, for whatever reason. Our words can be so far-reaching. It's amazing when you really think about it... :)

    ReplyDelete