Monday, January 16, 2012

Motivational Monday


DREAMS ARE RENEWABLE.
NO MATTER WHAT OUR AGE OR CONDITION,
THERE ARE STILL UNTAPPED POSSIBILITIES 
WITHIN US AND NEW BEAUTY WAITING
TO BE BORN.
(Dr. Dale Turner)

I sometimes feel like the older I get, the more dreams I lose. And I suppose that's true to an extent - I'm not ever going to make any of those "30 Writers Under 30 to Watch" lists - but it also, well, doesn't matter so much anymore. Okay, to be honest, it did matter but I've already grieved over that particular dream and have since moved on. 

That's the key. We need to move on from dreams that are no longer possible or no longer work for us. We need to create new dreams or dig deep and "renew" some of the old ones, modify them a bit. I can't make that "Writers Under 30" list but I can make the "50 Writers Under 50 to Watch" list. And if that list doesn't exist, then I can go ahead and create one.

So, this week, let's grieve for some of those old, ill-fitting dreams, and then release them. Let's give ourselves room to grow new ones or rediscover some we'd forgotten about. Otherwise, we're going to be like those people who get stuck, mired in old dreams, who never raise their head and see how much more is still out there. And I don't know about you, but I don't want to become one of those people. 

8 comments:

  1. Those lists actually exist? =] I like the idea of growing new dreams -- cool mental image there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I can't remember where I've seen them but I know I have. (See? Told you all I'm getting old.)

    Growing new dreams, like in a garden of some sort? I like that idea, too, but what if you pretty much kill all the plants you've ever owned...? :0

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dreams have changed but many of my hopes have remained the same. I hope for things that can come true, but not all of my dreams are realistic. I don't want to be one of those people without dreams and aspirations either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I don't know who I would be without my dreams and aspirations! But I am finding that I like myself better having "let go" of some of those old, rusty ones. My renewed/new dreams have more elbow room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is easy to become locked onto dreams that should be released. Realizing that is maturity and making it happen is personal growth. Those two steps can arrive at any age and years apart. We all need to reach for both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's sad to give up on some dreams, but as long as we have shiny new ones to replace them, it helps us grow.

    ReplyDelete