Thursday, May 26, 2011

Nonsense! Or is it?

My four year old nephew is learning how much fun words can be. He likes to walk around rhyming and talking like Dr. Seuss and saying things like "chicken noodle head." And, while most of the adults (the real, true grownups) in his life are trying to get him to talk "sense," Aunt Maddie responds to his "nonsense" with things like "oogledy boogledy."

[Side note: this is a perfect example of why I'm a better aunt than a mother. Although, in my defense, I do take into consideration the noise level and the easy removal of batteries of the toys I buy for him and my niece. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't buy the siren screaming, whistling, yodeling, headache-inducing toy after all but at least I take it into consideration.]

Words are fun. I think adults who are not writers or avid readers forget that sometimes. I think we all forget that sometimes. We forget the joy of feeling a word flip flop around on our tongues or knock against our teeth or slither up our throats. Of course there's a time and a place for "nonsense" and "silliness." I just hope we can all find our way back there once in a while.  

Aunt Chicken Noodle Head signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment