Monday, April 11, 2011

Motivational Monday Quote


EVERYONE WHO'S EVER TAKEN A SHOWER
HAS AN IDEA. IT'S THE PERSON WHO GETS OUT OF THE SHOWER, DRIES OFF, AND DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.
(Nolan Bushnell)

I'd like to amend it to "taken a shower/bath" if you all don't mind.

This quote makes me think of one of the best gifts my husband ever gave me - a waterproof notebook.   

Let me just say that my husband has given me lots of nice things - books signed by my favorite authors, flowers, jewelry - and he's done lots of nice things for me - surprised me with mini trips, painted a room while I was away - but I still think this waterproof notebook will go down in our history together as one of the best gifts.  Ever.

(I know he got it for me because he's very thoughtful, but I can't help wondering if he just got tired of hearing me complain about losing good ideas when in the bath or cleaning up after me as I raced around the house, dripping beneath my towel, desperate for a pen and a piece of paper.)

The trick, though, is that after my bath, I need to take that notebook and bring it into my office where I will actually do something with the ideas. Ideas can get soggy, even if they're written in a waterproof notebook.
   

4 comments:

  1. I love hearing about special gifts that are off the traditional gift giving lists. One of my favorite gifts from my husband is a gardening bucket, much like a wheelbarrow but lightweight and easy for me to handle. I guess it is a special moment when the gift says, "You really get me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband says that if he knew the notebook was going to be such a big hit, he would've skipped the jewelry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quote. Sometimes it's so easy, and feels far less stressful, to keep thinking about that perfect idea in all its wonderfulness instead of writing it down imperfectly. The one novel idea I had several years ago is brilliant, I tell you, brilliant!

    I used to read in the bath. Accidentally soaked a few paperbacks that way. I love the idea of a waterproof notebook. What a thoughtful guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelley - I've heard that some people put their ereaders in a clear baggie in case they drop them in the bath. Not sure that would work for your paperbacks though. :)

    ReplyDelete