Friday, September 3, 2010

So Many Books...

Call me a geek or a nerd or whatever, but I'm one of those people who keeps track of the books I read.  Nothing fancy - just the title, author, date I finished it, if it was YA, nonfiction, an ARC (advanced reader copy) or something else that sets it apart from what's usually on my bookshelves. (For some odd reason, I don't count books I've read about the writing craft.)  I also have a loose "star" rating system, and a list where I make notes of books family and friends might enjoy as gifts.  At the end of the year, I like to look back and see what I've read, what I've enjoyed (and didn't) and how many books I've read.

Now, I don't know how many books the average person reads a year.  I don't know how many books a "book lover" reads or how many books famous (and not-so-famous) writers read.  Over the last couple of years, I read about 80 books per year.  (This doesn't count all the books I started but chose not to finish.)  Is that a lot?  To some, yes; to others, maybe not. 

Does it even matter?  It does to me, to the extent it shows me what else was going on in my life at the time - day job, family stuff, travel?  What else was more time-consuming, considered more important, than reading?  Was I watching too much TV or spending too much time online?  Or maybe the list is shorter because I read lengthier books or "heavier" ones that took awhile to get through.  That's okay.

I continue to challenge myself to read more, to read widely, to read deeply.

How about you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment