Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Reading Rut

I'm in a reading rut.  Please help get out of it! 

Don't get me wrong.  The books I've read lately haven't been "bad" books.  I didn't slam any of them closed and throw them across the room or anything like that.  They've just been kind of "eh."  You know what I mean?  There was nothing wrong with them; they just didn't grab me.  The last great book I read was about a month ago - the YA novel, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - and it was fantastic!  (Side note to my sister:  if you're reading this post, don't go buy this book for yourself.  Or, if you do, let me know so I won't get it for you for your birthday!)

This is where you all come in:  What's the last fantastic book you read?  Are you reading something wonderful now?  What's your all-time favorite book?  I'm open to all genres, and I'm even open to nonfiction, although I am partial to fiction. 

Come on, people!  I need some other amazing books for between now and later this summer when Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins hits the shelves.  Hmm, maybe I'll just go back and re-read the first two in the trilogy...  Oh, who am I kidding, I'm going to do that anyway.  I still want more great books.  I'm greedy that way.

4 comments:

  1. I was in a reading rut for several months, too, and then suddenly I read three back-to-back books that amazed me. I just wrote about them on my blog: http://anne-greenawalt.blogspot.com. These titles edge more on women's/feminist literary fiction.

    The Elegence of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery especially impressed me in terms of language/craft if you're looking for that kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anne. I've heard good things about Barbery's book. Now I'm off to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, so many books! I finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. It was very, very good. (Young love torn apart during WW II) Another book I enjoyed recently is, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson. The sequel is good too.(gritty mystery/thriller) Or maybe you'd like magical realism? I adore Sarah Addison Allen. Her recent book, The Girl Who Chased th Moon has tones similar to the movie, Big Fish. Everyone has their own tastes! But there's always room for an excellent read, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendations, Stacy!

    I've got Ford's book on my list already.

    I'm sorry to say I've tried the first Larsson book and just could not get into it.

    I've heard of Sarah Addison Allen - don't think I've ever read anything by her, but thanks to your mention, I'm putting her on my list!

    ReplyDelete